Thursday, April 12, 2012

when we had none

what sweetness is this, offered to parched lips,
honey of the freshest flowers from home
yet its nectar is nothing, when heart is still wanting,
the taste of those dreamlands, far gone

for how sweet seem those days, when lost our own way,
but knew that the route was wrong
wandering in this haze, bleeding love upon our page,
surrounded, and yet still so alone

for nightmare it seemed, yet more was it dream,
more precious when long done
for sacrifice soon guided, to the path that was righted,
and prize is greatest, if hard won

and now sit we at our hearth, covered by comfort,
remembering those days before dawn--
whatever wealth brings we, will only seem poorly,
compared to when we had none

2 comments:

  1. I really deeply love this poem. I'm not sure if I fully understand it, but I find my own meanings in it's words, so filled with longing, with sadness and light interwoven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shira. I am so glad that you find your own meaning in its words - I wouldn't want it any other way!

      Delete