Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Dance of the Penguin


I want you to try something.
you're reading this for free, so just humor me.
Get up, dislodge yourself
from the siren's allure of your computer screen,
go downstairs or to your bedroom
(depending upon, of course, whether you live on multiple planes, like me)
and put on an ill-fitting penguin dress, or some equally uncomfortable clothing,
turn on Mozart or Chopin or even, heaven permit, Queen,
and while standing on one foot, like some venerated yogi,
lift your left toe to your right ear
Spin around fifteen times in perfect synchronicity,
and then SCREAM.

This is what it is to write poetry.

Each poem is a miracle, 
and a debacle, just as equally. 

So I guess what I really mean to say is,
Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment